Writing - A New Freedom? Yes Indeed...



I'd given up destroying candy on my Android phone 6 months ago so I found myself playing a new game from Google Play called Toy Blast, developed by Peak Games.  I played it so much that I scored unlimited lives for 24 hours.  Which meant of course that I had to continue playing for as long as possible.  I played it so much that I actually won the tournament and scored 250 gold coins on top of the 60 that I already had.  I played it so much that when I meditated, I would see the blocks drop inside my head and I had trouble clearing my mind.  Once I won the tournament, I woke up and wondered, "Why am I playing this game so much?" The answer was simple, I didn't know how to begin this new life of writing, and I was afraid - very afraid.

I'd already done it though.  I'd saved enough money to be able to pay my rent for 3 months along with providing for myself food, laundry, transportation, and anything else I'd need to sustain myself.  I took the plunge and leaped through my fears.  I’d decided that I was a writer and I was going to write.  No more working to make others rich, no more doing jobs in customer service which I'd grown to hate after 30 plus years, no more ignoring my feelings of depression and anxiety.  I decided to walk by faith and believe in myself.



A Snap Decision – Really?

It all started when I was walking to work after getting off the bus.  I saw my building just up ahead at 3:30 AM just as always.  My mind was already on drinking a cup of tea upon entering the cafeteria as I would wait until my 4:00 AM clock-in time.  I'd probably even watch the rest of Smallville on HULU while I waited, that was a fun way to relax before beginning my stressful job.  But suddenly, I stopped in my tracks.  Without even thinking twice about it, I turned around and went back to the bus stop, waited 5 minutes, jumped on the bus heading home, and never looked back.  I'm a writer, and I was going to be a writer even if it killed me.

It took me only a month to write “The Shelter of the Shade Tree”.  I was practically in a daze while I wrote it almost as if I were being driven.  When it was done, 54,500 words later, I was amazed and troubled. What was I going to do next? I Googled "How to publish your novel".  I recognized the name, Nicholas Sparks, the writer of the novel turned movie, “The Note Book” in the responses, so I clicked on his website.  On it, I found exactly what I was looking for.  He had advice on the craft of writing itself, notes regarding the business end of it, finding an agent, query letter writing which is how you pitch your book idea to agents and publishers, and so much more.  He even had an actual sample of the letter he wrote to pitch his book and the story of how he was found and published.

To me, it was a sign from the Universe saying that writing was for me. That was the beginning of my journey into a new realm.  I had absolutely no experience what so ever, but as it is with anything else, we all must start out clueless right?  I was determined to be the writer which I knew was already deep inside of me, and there were so many sources out there to assist me in my trek, I wasn’t alone.

I’ve Arrived, and I’m Doing It…

After doing my research into writing careers, I no longer felt that I had to be a cog in the system.  This was my way of breaking free, and even though I was scared out of my mind, I took this leap of faith because I had to.  I'm still searching for that opportunity to begin earning a living through writing, and I hope to bring a little insight of my own to the table, but for now, as I continue to struggle to keep the faith, my writing has improved by leaps and bounds, I’ve published my novel which is available on Amazon, and I’ve been compensated for blogging and website development. I’d say that that’s a pretty good beginning.

For my book, please click the link below. Enjoy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visit to Downtown Atlanta

One Michigan Winter