10 Reasons Why I Prefer the Kia Forte Over the Nissan Sentra


I drove full time for Lyft for about a year. First in the Bay Area with my base being in San Jose, CA. Then in the Metropolitan Area of Atlanta, GA. Because I switched home-based cities, I was able to drive two newer model cars working with Lyft’s Flex-Drive service. In San Jose it was the 2017 model Kia Forte, and in Atlanta it was the 2018 Nissan Sentra.


Both vehicles were tremendous in luxury for the passengers, easy to handle and tight on the road. But for a professional driver, there are a few items which for me made a big difference regarding the operation and use of accessories and needful things. Upon purchasing one of these vehicles, I would certainly prefer to buy the Kia Forte over the Nissan Sentra. Here are 10 reasons why.


1)      The Trunk Release Button. On the Nissan Sentra, not only is the release button in an unusual place, behind and below the steering wheel where at first it couldn’t be seen. It was so frustrating trying to find it on that first airport trip. I had to literally turn off the car, take out the key and push the trunk button on the key itself because it was taking too long. Of course, that’s when I saw it while putting the key back in. On the Kia Forte, it’s right there next to the driver’s seat. Easy to find.

2)      Bluetooth Pairing. On the Kia Forte, I slide my phone’s Bluetooth on. Then on the display screen, I just press phone then connections and add my device, it’s done. Once it’s done the first time, it’s already paired as soon as I get in and turn the phone’s Bluetooth on.
 
2018 Nissan Sentra
With the Nissan Sentra with no navigation, press enter/settings then Bluetooth/add phone. On my phone (Android) I go to settings / Bluetooth / scan for devices, then select “My Car”. The passkey must match both device and vehicle, if they do, select “Yes”. The problem is, when I get out of the car and turn off the Bluetooth, once I return and turn it on, the car doesn’t recognize my phone at first. If I get a phone call and try to push the button to answer it, the car will say “Your device is not ready.” Or something to that effect. It takes a while before it finally connects. Too long.

3)      The Gas Cover Release Button. On the Kia Forte, It’s right there next to the trunk release button on the side of the driver’s seat. Easy Peasy. On the Nissan Sentra, where oh where is it…? Oh there it is, way under the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel. You can find it next to the hood release. Don’t pull the wrong release button. I did that several times.

4)      USB Port. Wow, the Kia Forte has them right there under the radio. I can connect my phone for navigation. And it even has the lighter next to it so I can use my plug-in USB car charger for my Lyft Amp. Where is it for the Nissan Sentra? Inside the armrest on the right side of the driver at the back. What? I’d have to get an extended USB chord for my phone and that chord would wind down between the driver and passenger seat up to the front where my phone is mounted. If it weren’t for my plug-in car charger, I’d be lost. At least the lighter is at the front.

5)      Buttons on the Steering Wheel. On the Nissan Sentra, it took me a minute to figure out that the “Source” button was for the audio system. The button beneath that (unnamed) was for tuning. Why not just name it Audio? On the right is the cruise control which I couldn’t figure out how to operate, and the hands-free phone controls.   On the left side of the Kia Forte, you have the hands-free phone, and the audio system operation. On the right is the cruise control system and the car’s mechanical status system operations. Very convenient easy to tell at a glance, simple.

6)      Mirror Lights. Behind the sun visors on both passenger and driver side, there is of course a mirror in both vehicles. But in the Kia Forte, there is an accessory light just above the mirrors, embedded in the car’s ceiling. When driving at night, it’s very inconvenient when your passenger wants you to turn on the inside light to look in the mirror. That accessory light in the Kia was a big deal.

7)      Headlights Operation. When turning the headlights to “Auto”, whenever the sky was dim or dark, or while going through a tunnel, of course you’d expect your lights to automatically turn on right. Well, that’s not the case with the Nissan Sentra. It must be completely pitched black before those lights come on. It’s such a pain to have to remember to turn off the headlights whenever you turn off your car, or to turn them on in the rain. With the Kia Forte, there was never an issue.

Inside the 2017 Kia
Inside the 2018 Nissan

8)      Trunk Space. While driving for Lyft, I used certain things such as a small vacuum, window cleaners, paper towels etc. which I kept in a special car case for cleaning items in the trunk. In both the Kia Forte and the Nissan Sentra, it would fit perfectly just to the left side. However, if passengers were going to the airport and had large multiple bags, every time I’d have to place my case or at least one bag in the front seat of the Nissan. I never had that problem with the Kia.

9)      The Gas Mileage. Needless to say, the Kia Forte had better gas mileage. Even though I drove the Kia in California where the gas was more expensive, still I’d fill up from a quarter of a tank to above full for $25 dollars. In the Nissan, that same amount would fill up from a half of a tank to full. That was a shocker. And I’d have to stop at the gas station more often. Not good.

10)   The Ride Itself. And finally, not only was I more comfortable in the Kia Forte, but handling the Nissan Sentra was almost like driving a toy car compared to the Kia. The tire sounds were louder on the road, and it moved from side to side more easily causing me to constantly be aware of its fragility. When big trucks passed on the highway, I had to hold it tight. I’d rather be more relaxed in driving.

2017 Kia Forte

Soon I will be purchasing my own vehicle. I no longer drive for Lyft but I’m grateful for the opportunity to drive both cars to try them out. I will be purchasing a Kia Forte. I loved driving it and, in my opinion, its designers were more focused on the easy use of its accessories and the cars stability. The Kia Forte is truly the better automobile. Heads up Nissan Sentra manufacturers, a little research on your driver's needs may be forth coming.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visit to Downtown Atlanta

Writing - A New Freedom? Yes Indeed...

My Journey in Meditation